1 lb. potatoes, cut into ½-inch cubes (I’ve used russet, Yukon, and sweet potatoes…all good)
2 cans chick peas, drained.
2 tbs. olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbs. minced ginger (I’ve used powdered in a pinch)
1 jalapeño chile, finely chopped
1 tsp. ground coriander
½ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. turmeric
1 13.5-oz. can light coconut milk
1 8-oz. bag spinach
1½- 2 tsp. garam masala
1 tbs. lime juice
¼ cup chopped cilantro
1. Cook potatoes 10 minutes, or until just tender. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 8 minutes, or until soft and golden.
3. Add garlic, ginger, and jalapeño, and sauté 1 minute.
4. Stir in chick peas, coriander, cumin, turmeric, and potatoes. Sauté 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Add 1/4 cup water, coconut milk, and salt and pepper to taste.
6. Bring to a simmer.
7. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 5 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
8. Stir in 1/4 cup water, spinach, and garam masala. Cook 2 minutes, or until spinach wilts.
9. Stir in lime juice and cilantro
10. Serve over brown rice.