Search This Blog

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Savory Sweet Potato Casserole

I wish I knew where I originally saw this recipe so I could give credit...but I have no clue;  So, here's my take on a recipe I read a while back and decided to conjure up for Thanksgiving this year.  This recipe was so good that even my Dad, who isn't a fan of sweet potatoes, asked for seconds!  This dish will be a regular on my holiday table from now on! 

Savory Sweet Potato Casserole
10 sweet potatoes
2 large onions, diced
1/4 stick butter
2 cups milk (or be decadent and use cream!)
1 small can chipotles in adobo sauce
2 c. swiss cheese, grated
salt
pepper

1. Place butter and onions in a skillet set to medium high heat. Carmelize the onions, but don't let them burn.

2. Peel sweet potatoes and slice uniformly thin.

3. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and place 1 layer of sliced sweet potatoes in bottom.

4. Sprinkle layer with salt, pepper, swiss cheese and add some carmelized onions.

5. Continue layering potatoes, salt, pepper, swiss cheese and onions.

6. For the top layer; In the food processor or blender, whir the milk and 1/2 to 1 whole can of adobo chipotle peppers depending on how spicy hot you want this dish. You just want to add the peppers here...not the adobo sauce...though some will sneak in on the peppers.

7. Pour the pepper/milk mixture over the casserole.

8. Top casserole with a layer of swiss.

9. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes with a tented foil lid. After 45 minutes check doneness by inserting a knife into the casserole....you'll be able to tell if it is done.

10. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I never would have thought to put those things together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking about a variation on this; gorgonzola and mozzarella instead of swiss; A savory rosemary infused fig sauce instead of the peppers!

    ReplyDelete