My Dad loves Barley; so, for Easter, I decided to make him a barley salad. Lately I've been using dried beans and what a payoff! They taste so much better than the canned version! However, in a pinch, I'd use the canned beans in a second. Here's my recipe:
Barley, 3-bean salad
1. Cook dried beans(chick pea, black beans, and kidney beans) according to directions OR use 1 can of chick peas, 1 can of black beans, and 1 can of kidney beans.
2. Cook barley according to directions ending with 2 cups cooked barley; allow to cool overnight in the fridge.
3. Add 2 cups of cook barley, 1 cup of each; chick peas, black beans and kidney beans to a large bowl.
4 Chop 1/4 cup (or more) chopped green onion.
5. Stir gently.
1. 2 T good olive oil
2. Combine the juice of 2 lemons with the olive oil and whisk well
3. Add 1/2 tsp salt.
4. Add 1/2 tsp white pepper
5. Add 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
6. whisk well.
7. Add dressing to bean-barley mixture and gently stir until mixed well.
1 cup of steam green beans.
1 small can chopped black olives
1 chopped tomato
1 cup steamed asparagus
Serve in a lovely glass bowl and enjoy!