Search This Blog

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Creamed Chipped Beef with Quinoa

My sweet friend, and all around domestic goddess, Robyn posted her recipe for Creamed Chipped Ham on her blog and I knew I had to make the chipped beef version for my guys!  This is my husband's number one comfort food and I've never thought to make it for him!  So Thanks Robyn...Joe is so grateful!  Rob's recipe is here: http://housewifecooking.blogspot.com/2009/03/boo-boo.html


I made a quadruple batch of this and as I was gathering the ingredients, including 2 whole sticks of butter, I was trying to think of ways to make it a bit more healthy; so I added quinoa and used beef broth along with the milk, essentially violating the rules of French cooking and the 5 mother sauces.  But that's just fine by me.

I got a big thumbs up from the guys!  I froze individual portions in muffin tins then placed them in a freezer bag for a quick breakfast that I don't have to cook.  Not that I cook breakfast often, Joe always lets me sleep! :-)

Creamed Chipped Beef with Quinoa

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 cup beef broth
2oz. dried beef
1 cup cooked quinoa

Preperation:

  1. Melt butter in large skillet or pan. As Rob points out, no substitutions on the butter, please.
  2. Warm up the milk and the beef broth in the microwave, but don't let it boil.
  3. Once butter is melted add the flour and whisk until smooth.
  4. Add the warmed liquids to the roux while whisking vigorously.  Warming the liquids makes it easier to get a smooth sauce.
  5. Cook the sauce until thickened.
  6. Add shredded beef and quinoa, stir well.
  7. To freeze individual portions, pour 1/2 cup into muffin tins and pop in the freezer.
  8. Once frozen, place in individual baggies.
  9. To reheat:  place frozen serving in a bowl reheat in microwave for approximately 3.5 minutes, stirring halfway through.
  10. Serve over toast.
Serves 6

Nutition Information:
Serving Size: 1/2 c.
Calories per serving: 168
Carbs: 15
Fat: 9
Protein: 7


No comments:

Post a Comment