I made a quadruple batch of this and as I was gathering the ingredients, including 2 whole sticks of butter, I was trying to think of ways to make it a bit more healthy; so I added quinoa and used beef broth along with the milk, essentially violating the rules of French cooking and the 5 mother sauces. But that's just fine by me.
I got a big thumbs up from the guys! I froze individual portions in muffin tins then placed them in a freezer bag for a quick breakfast that I don't have to cook. Not that I cook breakfast often, Joe always lets me sleep! :-)
Creamed Chipped Beef with Quinoa
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 cup beef broth
2oz. dried beef
1 cup cooked quinoa
- Melt butter in large skillet or pan. As Rob points out, no substitutions on the butter, please.
- Warm up the milk and the beef broth in the microwave, but don't let it boil.
- Once butter is melted add the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Add the warmed liquids to the roux while whisking vigorously. Warming the liquids makes it easier to get a smooth sauce.
- Cook the sauce until thickened.
- Add shredded beef and quinoa, stir well.
- To freeze individual portions, pour 1/2 cup into muffin tins and pop in the freezer.
- Once frozen, place in individual baggies.
- To reheat: place frozen serving in a bowl reheat in microwave for approximately 3.5 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Serve over toast.
Serving Size: 1/2 c.
Calories per serving: 168