I'm lazy when it comes to packing lunches in the mornings...it's the LAST thing I want to do. But Jack won't eat school lunch (who can blame him?) and our office building is close to 2 convenience stores and that's it. So, on Sundays, I make ahead individual salads for the week and make salmon or quinoa patties, freeze them individually and portion them into baggies. EASY! Quinoa is so healthy and good for you but you have to add some good veggies and cheese to make these patties, Mmm, Mmm good.
I don't have a pic of my quinoa patties handy...but aren't these salads gorgeous?
Here's my recipe for Quinoa patties: Enjoy!
•3 cups cooked quinoa
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•¼ c. breadcrumbs
Add one or more of the following: Quinoa alone is very bland (but so good for you!)…add the flavors you like; here are some of my favorites.
•Grated zucchini •frozen spinach (cooked and moisture squeezed out)
•grated sweet potato
•grated sharp cheddar
You will need some canola oil for your skillet, unless you are using non-stick.
1. Whisk eggs in large bowl.
2. Add cooked quinoa and breadcrumbs (for gluten free...use flax seed or no breadcrumbs)
3. Add in additions and stir until well combined and form into patties.
4. Heat canola oil over medium low heat.
5. Cook patties for 5 mins or until brown and a crispy crust has formed, flip then and cook for 5 more mins or so.
6. Cool on a cookie cooling rack; then place them in the freezer on a baking sheet to individually freeze them.
7. After they are frozen, pop into baggies for a quick toss into your lunch bag.
8. Reheat in microwave for a minute or two (times vary depending on the microwave).