Joe swears this is very close to the old Giuseppe's chicken cacciatore, before they changed the recipe. I think he's right.
Here is my version:
2.5 - 3 lbs of chicken (pieces, breasts, skinless or not whatever you like: although I think a mix is best)
1 large onion, chopped
8-12 ounces button mushrooms (small ones, use whole: large ones, quartered)
1/2 t red pepper flakes
5 cloves mashed and roughly chopped
2 tsp italian seasoning
1 tsp thyme
1 can whole, peeled tomatoes, with juices
1/2 c. red wine (white will do in a pinch)
1/4 c. tomato paste
2 T fresh basil chopped
dash of salt & pepper
cooked pasta of your choosing for serving
- Add chicken pieces (skin or not..up to you) to crockpot. I often put them in frozen, remember, this will be in the fridge overnight and then on the counter until the crockpot starts to do it's thing.
- Add the garlic, onion, and basil on top of chicken.
- I like to whirl all the following in my food processor, at the very least you need to whirl the tomatoes or use diced. Whirl tomatoes, wine, tomato paste, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, italian seasoning, thyme in the food processor and pour over chicken.
- Stick the crock in the fridge.
- In the a.m., get the crock out and place on counter. Set time for 4.5 hours before you arrive home. Set temperature control to high. You could also do this for 6-7 hours on low.
- Serve over pasta; Serves 5-7.